Friday, January 07, 2011

Molten Chocolate Pudding

My friend Jam was biding her time at the school clinic (where I was on duty) before she'll go back to the Coca - Cola plant, where she's been assigned to. While waiting for the clock to strike 3, she showed me some recipes given to her by her friend from Hong Kong. She swears by this recipe for Rich Molten Hot Chocolate Pudding, that I just wanted to try it for myself. It looked easy enough, and since after nineteen years we finally have an electric oven, I decided to give it a go.

Photobucket

I doubled the recipe since I don't think 4 pieces would make my family happy

Photobucket

At least FilTrend, a baking goods store, sold almost all the things I needed, INCLUDING a small weighing scale that's relatively cheap at 100 pesos.

Photobucket

AND made an improvised double boiler since ours was big and rusty. I eventually regretted that move soon after the chocolate melted - It took me 10 - 15 minutes just trying to separate the little pan from the big one.

Photobucket

I really didn't know how to properly "spoon" the mixture onto the muffin pan, so this was the result. I cleaned it before I popped it in the over though

Photobucket

And after a grueling 15 minutes....

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The pudding/s turned out really really well!!! I gave myself a pat on the back for that one. I'm not really sure why they're called 'pudding' since it's basically a soft muffin with a melt-in-your-mouth center, but what the heck! They were delicious! The puddings were moist and buttery, and had the perfect texture. I'd really recommend staying within the 15 minute period of baking. Otherwise the center would set a little bit more than what you'd like it to be and you wouldn't have the gooey awesomeness I just had.

Photobucket

Molten Hot Chocolate Pudding (serves 4)

150 g dark chocolate
100 g unsalted butter
1/4 cup caster sugar
2 eggs
2 egg yolks
2 tablespoons flour
thick cream to serve

Preheat oven to 180 C (350 F).
1. Place the chocolate and butter in a saucepan or double boiler over low heat.
2. Stir it regularly until the chocolate has melted and the consistency is smooth
3. Place the egg yolks, eggs, and sugar in a bowl and whisk until thoroughly mixed
4. Gently fold in the flour and chocolate mixture until well incorporated
5. Spoon into 4 lightly greased oven dishes such as ramekins or you can use a muffin pan (if you're using non-stick ware, skip this part)
6. Bake for about 12 - 15 minutes or until puddings have puffed
7. Top with whipped cream. Serve warm

And by the way, let this be the day I discover blogspot's ability to block quote.

Photobucket

No comments: