Saturday, June 21, 2008

my doctor said....

...i have bronchitis.

the doctor diagnosed me a few hours ago, after three hours of painstakingly waiting for her to arrive. i was outside the bookstore when my dad picked me up and brought me to ciudad. it was raining hard that time, so i was wasting my minutes extracting amusement at how my classmates would get to McDonalds, a few meters away, without screaming and getting wet. i was the 2nd on the list, and at least the first one didn't show up, so the secretary called me in for the consult as i was just about to drift away to my little hole on the beach, sipping ice cold wine somewhere in the Mediterranean.....sigh

so, i did my research just to give me more insight as to what could potentially kill me (and save me from taking up judo, and everything else for that matter, since i'm dead and all), and here's what i found....

WHAT IS BRONCHITIS?

Bronchitis is an inflammation of the bronchial tubes, or bronchi (the air passages that extend from the windpipe into the lungs). The inflammation may be caused by a virus, bacteria, smoking or the inhalation of chemical pollutants or dust. When the cells of the bronchial-lining tissue are irritated beyond a certain point, the tiny hairs (cilia) within them, which normally trap and eliminate pollutants stop functioning. Consequently, the air passages become clogged by debris and irritation increases. In response, a heavy secretion of mucus develops, which causes the characteristic cough of bronchitis.
Bronchitis is classified as either acute or chronic. In acute bronchitis, the causative agents are viruses, symptoms typically last 7- 21 days, are preceded by a “cold”, and resolve without treatment other than over the counter products. Chronic bronchitis is a component of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease. It is defined by the chronic nature of the cough, which usually is productive, and has lasted for at least 3 months per year for at least 2 years.


ACUTE BRONCHITIS

This is one of the most common disorders seen in clinical practice. Bronchitis is generally caused by a virus, and does not respond to antibiotic therapy. Unfortunately, seventy percent of the time, the diagnosis usually leads to a prescription for antibiotics. This diagnosis is one of the leading causes of antibiotic abuse. Bronchitis often evolves from a severe cold. This disorder may also follow or accompany the flu, or it may begin without having had an infection.

you can read the whole article HERE

if it takes on a recurring pattern for the next few months, i might have a problem on my hands. but at least i'm on medication right now...and it doesn't involve grandma practically bugging me every freaking minute of the day to take Fern-C. whoopee.

No comments: