Thursday, December 24, 2009

Giving gives a great feeling

I wanted to make a review of James Cameron's "Avatar", about how I'm proclaiming it the best movie of 2009, but there's a special place in my heart which tells me now isn't the time. What I wanna blog about, is how for the very first time, I actually did something really really really charitable for Christmas. Well, I had a few instances before where I did do some charity work...but I did it all for the grade since it was a requirement.

Mj, Jad, Jam, Riez, Kikay and myself scoured the streets of the city to look for, well, street kids to feed. And they weren't really hard to find. Actually that's the depressing part right there..that we don't really see them (or we ignore them) in broad daylight but when night falls, it turns out the streets are actually their home. and they have no where to go, no one to turn to. It's sufficient to say that they need help, attention and most of all, love. It could come in many forms, so because of our limited capacities, we wanted to give them food courtesy of Mcdonald's. This was actually MJ's brainchild, and we liked it and were willing to do it.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Photobucket

i want to look at this whole experience as a welcome respite, a breath of fresh air from all the superficial things we associate with Christmas. And experiences like these really make you think about the situation you're in right now. But more than anything else, I think I managed to feel during that evening, the real spirit of Christmas (corny but true): giving love.

We saw faces light up at the sight of what we had. They didn't even ask questions. They just said "thank you". It was more than enough. A girl was sleeping all alone at the side of the Southway Square building when MJ went and woke her up. He handed in the burger and Pepsi and said "Merry Christmas". I couldn't help but think that moments like that reminded both the giver and the recepient that there is a God, and we are never alone.

And yes, that Gives Me Hope.

I feel so happy right now! Merry Christmas to all of you!!!

2 comments:

Dee @ A Deecoded Life said...

aww, that was really nice of you! the true spirit of christmas indeed! GMH.

and you know about GMH! wow!

G said...

thanks to your blog of course!