Thursday, April 15, 2010

Blood, Glee and no torrid lovemaking

This week was my first rotation ever in the operating room. We were assigned at Doctor's hospital and lucky for me, my fears were put to rest early when I was called first to assist. My first ever surgery, a thyroidectomy (removal of the thyroid gland) lasted the whole morning. Pretty heavy for a gland that's supposed to be small. The smell of tissue being cauterized (with a pointed tip charged with electricity; a fancy medical way of saying burning tissue) reminded me pretty much of papait (goat's guts stewed in bile-y soup). It also reminded me of the smell when you dissect toads, so thank you Sir whatsyourname, for prepping me early on during my Zoo lab.

I felt pretty good after the surgery because I didn't do an epic fail of what I was doing, which was basically cleaning the bloody instruments, handing instruments and retracting the skin to expose more tissue. I'm not going to complain about how my friends at General hospital managed to snag 3 surgeries in two days while I had (only) 1 because the experience makes you look forward to the surgeries to come, and thank my lucky stars blood and guts don't make me puke...they make me even giddy at some point. And it also helped that my instructor was calm most of the time.


I finally finished watching Glee episode 14 and I'm excited for the things to come. I mean, Rachel's playing a Juliet Capulet and seeing a guy from Vocal Adrenaline (their competition), Finn actually LIKES Rachel, Will and Emma actually have a shot at a real relationship, Terry (Will's wife who faked her pregnancy) will be getting less screen time, Regionals are coming up, and Quinn isn't in labor yet! What's not to look forward to??

Aside from Glee, I also watched "An Education", one of the films nominated for an Oscar early this year. I thought, that since it has a May-December love affair, like "The Reader" (Where Kate Winslet had sex with a boy without apologies), it would follow the same pattern of torrid lovemaking between a married man and a 16 year old girl, but it didn't. It was light and wholesome enough for the palate and yeah, I guess I've had enough of the old and young sharing bodily fluids for one day. It turns out it was about how a girl almost grows up too fast for her own good, and almost loses her shot at getting into Oxford because of her relationship. But she does go in the end after realizing how wrong she was so yeah, she does get "an education", pun intended.

No comments: